Their low-grade approach brought the engineers up the Juniata Valley to the base of the Allegheny Mountains. The southwest corner of Logan Township provided the scene for one of the highest regarded engineering feats of that century. 106 were here. The early inhabitants of our area as you can quite imagine were Native Americans. Previously, the two, along with a younger brother John, had resided along the west branch of the Susquehanna River. Still our area was not highly populated. The hotel operated until 1903, when it was consumed in a forest fire that covered the entire mountaintop. It is anchored by JCPenney, Macy's, Old Navy, and Sears and features over 90 stores and services on two levels. made was to set up the politics of the area. Ivyside Park opened in 1929, and contained amusement rides, music, concessions, and picnic grounds. Native Americans placed much importance on the body and this disfigurement cost him the role of chief. Following this opening, a new food court opened in the renovated second floor of the former JCPenney store, which allowed for more stores in the old two-story section. These factors might explain why there were no Native American villages in the area and only one settler was killed in the valley during this era. Lakemont park has suffered through the Great Depression, a major flood in 1936, changes in ownership, bankruptcy, and a name change. Sylvester Baker, Elias's son, was a civil engineer whom organized the construction of a narrow-gauge wooden railroad to move coal from mines near Kittanning Point and iron ore from open pits in the village of Lakemont. Altoona was incorporated as a city in 1868. Ivyside Park fell victim to the Great Depression and closed in 1945. When the P.R.R. Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CROWN+AMERICAN+REPORTS+FIRE+AT+LOGAN+VALLEY+MALL-a015994372, "New York companies buy Logan Valley Mall", "Sears is closing 80 more stores in March, faces possible liquidation". These materials were used in the production of pig iron. The Logan Valley Mall constructed in the 1960's, expanded several times, and rebuilt after a fire in 1996, is an example of this trend which has been experienced all over our country. Two other area recreational spots also graced our area. main line was completed in 1858, a traveler could get from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh in about fifteen hours. In 1850, the P.R.R. Also in 2017, the mall was sold to Mason Asset Management and Namdar Realty Group.. Logan Valley Mall opened in November 1965 as an open-air shopping center with Sears, Weis Markets and a few small shops. Did you know that the existence of Logan Township predates the City of Altoona? Logan Valley Mall is a regional shopping mall in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Logan's son convinced him to move near him along the Allegheny River where he remained until his death in 1820 at the age of 100 years. The most well known trail and the most important to the settlement and development of our area was the Kittanning Trail. The Pennsylvania Railroad inspired many immigrants to seek work and move to Logan Township and nearby areas. The series of valleys on the eastern side of the Allegheny Mountains have been used for hundreds of years as traffic routes. Phase three was completed in 1997 and included the openings of a new larger JCPenney location closer to Sears. The largest block of annexation occurred in 1929, and more than doubled the size of Altoona. The pool required three million gallons of water to fill it. Did you know that this area once was part of Huntington County? Rather than follow mountaintops, trails tended to go along river terraces, above flood levels, or well drained ridges in wide valleys. It is now the site of the Altoona Campus of the Pennsylvania State University. Ivyside Park fell victim to the Great Depression and closed in 1945. When completed, it was the only structure of its kind in Central Pennsylvania. Federated proceeded to convert various May properties to Macy's, including the Logan Valley Mall store. Logan was educated by Moravians and became a fast friend of the white settlers. Two other area recreational spots also graced our area. Industry in Logan Township followed the development of the P.R.R., assisting in supplying goods and services. The Assembly then chartered the Pennsylvania Railroad to build a railroad between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. It is owned and managed by PREIT. To install click the Add extension button. At maurices, we strive to inspire the women in Altoona, PA to look and feel your best. Tuckahoe is a Native American word for food plants that grow underground. Old images of this original 1965 part of the mall are fairly hard to come by, and this portion was destroyed in a 1994 fire which started in the G.C. In 1979, another expansion was completed by Crown American with the construction of Hess's department store. Supporters of the P.R.R. Previously, the two, along with a younger brother John, had resided along the west branch of the Susquehanna River. It boasted a large swimming pool and slide, sand beach, boardwalk, orchestra stand in the center of the pool, bath houses, boats, a dancing pavilion, a merry-go-round and concessions. Built in 1963, the Logan Valley Mall was approximately 870,000 square feet with 100 stores, 4 being anchor department stores, and numerous mercantile stands. History. Thomas Coleman served in the Bedford County Militia during the Revolutionary War. Transportation to the resort was via a narrow gauge railroad originally called the Altoona and Wopsononock Railroad. In the late 1800's, Logan Township was the scene for leisure and recreational development, which was aided by the growth of the P.R.R. In an attempt not to be by-passed by western expansion, the Pennsylvania State Assembly granted the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad the right to extend their lines to Pittsburgh in 1846. They worked to have the Pennsylvania legislature cut the bottom half of Antis Township and the northern portion of Allegheny Township off to create their own township, naming after Captain Logan. After burying their brother, the Coleman brothers moved to what is now the northern part of Logan Township; where they settled permanently around 1770. Thousands of acres of woodland in and around Logan Township suited the iron production process. An outcast among his own people, Logan moved to the Tuckahoe Valley sometime prior to 1768. Most of these settlers came from elsewhere in Pennsylvania and from Maryland. This mall continually grew until 1984. It was 620 feet long and 186 feet wide with an island in the middle. pushed the Pennsylvania governor into declaring the B & O charter null and void the following year. This mall continually grew until 1984. The main entrance of the Logan Valley Mall, The Amtran Bus station and Mall Main Entrance. Industries, wholesalers, and retail shopping establishments have followed the population into the township providing for a strong tax base. Hollidaysburg became the largest area in Huntington County as a big shipping port. Logan Valley Mall opened in November 1965 as an open-air shopping center with Sears, Weis Markets and a few small shops. In recent years the upward mobility of our population has increased in the township and declined in the City of Altoona. Old images of this original 1965 part of the mall are fairly hard to come by, and this portion was destroyed in a 1994 fire which started in the G.C. Cache Valley Mall is a shopping mall located in Logan, Utah that opened in 1976. In 1849, the P.R.R. Early settlers in our area were English, Pennsylvania German, Scot-Irish, and Irish. To compete with other states, whom were promoting westward expansion, the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal was built as far west as Hollidaysburg in the late 1820's.